Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Passing Storm





The HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo above, was taken this evening at sunset, near the Baccarra hotel in Goleta. I was sitting at home when suddenly at 4:00, I remembered the GORGEOUS sunset just a few days prior.  With the stormy weather we had last night and this morning I was hoping that this evenings sunset would be just as spectacular. With this in mind, I quickly jumped up, grabbed my gear and set out for the Baccarra hotel, in hopes of getting a deep saturated red sky photograph.

On a side note, due to the geography of the coastline in Santa Barbara, the Baccarra is one of the only easily accessible beaches that that actaullyfaces west (actually, south west). Cabrillo Blvd (aka East and West Beach here in Santa Barabara), for example, faces south east. 

As I jumped into my car and headed north, I was quickly greeted by dark clouds and a downpour of rain. Being breifly discouraged, I checked my iPhone and noticed a small, yet concentrated spot of rain on the doppler radar map. Perhaps I coulds wait it out and the storm wpould pass and allow me to get a shot?

I pulled into the parking lot at Haskell'ss Beach at 4:30 as the rain was coming down hard. According to my phone, sunset was at 4:58 PM so I decided to just sit and wait and see if the storm would pass and break before sunset, allowing me to get a shot.

As I was sitting in my car, enjoying the sound of the rain falling onto the roof of my car, I started to think about the past twenty months and how good the Lord has been to me during this time. I was struck by the metaphor of the passing storm and how we often times need to wait upon the Lord in stormy times (A recurring lesson the Lord seems to continually teach me on a daily basis) In waiting for the storm to pass, I looked up some passages on waiting on the Lord and found this jewel fron 2nd Peter.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance  - 2 Peter 3:9
 
Wow! I was immediately struck with how this applies to me. As someone who has walked in sin for twenty years prior, actually turning away from the Lord for that period of time and then returning and recommitting my life to him almost two years ago, it is good to know that He is much more patient with me than I deserve. The good news is that no matter where we are in life, He will always wait for you to turn to him, or was was in my case, turn back to Him.

Suddenly, and almost immediately, the downpour stopped, so I grabbed my gear and trodded down the gravel road, skillfuly dodging flooded potholes and puddles, keeping my feet dry.

I set up my gear and although I was not greeted with the crimson display I had seen just a few nights prior, I did get a fairly dramatic sky and a decent image out of the journey.

There is always beauty after a passing storm, when you trust and wait upon the Lord.

=BM=

No comments:

Post a Comment