Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cold Streak In SoCal




Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philipians 4: 6&7

I stumbled upon this hilarious clip form Jimmy Kimmel Live regarding the cold spell we have had here in Southern California.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but this is me to a "T"!

I get upset becasue I have to put on a sweater at night, or actually sleep UNDER the covers of my bed, instead of on top as I am accustomed to doing.

What really got to me, after the good natured fun of the clip, is how I am guilty of being a bit too petty in my prayer life with Jesus. Lately I have been praying for little things, selfish things.... things that when I step back and look at myself honestly and objectively, I come accross like the well meaning people in the clip above. Shallow and a bit selfish.

The verse above reminds me to be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your requests be known to God.

God wants us to be prayerful and he wants us to go BIG. Come to him with EVERYTHING not matter how big or how small. 

God does indeed like the small stuff, however, if we all we do is concentrate on self-centered requests without faith that the Lord can work mighty and wondrous things, then we too can end up looking like the newscasters above.  Privileged, blessed people who are, living in one of the most pleasant climates on the planet, complaining because we had to put a sweater on our dog. In other words, petty and self-centered.

Lord, keep me humble and more focused on others and help me think outside of the box when coming to you in prayer.

=BM=



No comments:

Post a Comment